My Videos

Loading my videos...

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Girl Scouts Science Day: My Saturday

Yesterday morning from 9:30AM -- 1:00PM I worked a booth at Girl Scout Science day. A whole bunch of Cadets and Junoirs came to MBC and we set up 18 booths of experiments for them to do, watch, etc. My booth was the egg in a bottle trick that I ran with my friend Cassie. The link has two different way to do the experiment and we showed the girls the first one, but we tried the second one with some of our broken eggs. At one point a group of girls came back to talk to us and we showed them the upside down one. They loved it.
I also got a cool water bottle for volunteering. We all did. It's a nice big, red, metal one that says girl scouts on it. It makes me happy. I have three water bottles now!! Yay.
So I learned yesterday that young little girls are quite smart. I mean I knew that already, sort of, but I really learned it. Cassie and I had at least three groups of girls explain pretty nearly how the experiment works. One group did it spot on. Others, instead of mentioning the pressure directly said that the fire consumed the oxygen and lowered the pressure. I loved being there with all of those girls. I got to see kids and young adults probably only a few years younger than myself get excited over science. I also got to show all of those girls a super fun experiment. I loved explaining it to them and I got Cassie to explain it too. She is not a sciencey person, but I taught it to her and she explained. I had so much fun. Just writing this is making me excited again!!!
After the Girl Scout thing I went back to my room and watched Merlin. I am now done with season four and I also watched Brave with all the rest of us girls. It was a lazy day.

Have fun doing science.

Love,
Alora

P.S. That is what I told every group as the left. It is really fun to say out loud. Try it. No really, try it.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment